Strawberries are one of the easiest fruits to maintain in the garden and are so delicious! This beautiful, edible ground cover plant can survive in very small spaces and in a variety of climates.
YUM STRAWBERRY JELLY
Because of the use of low-glycemic sugar-free sweetening, combined with the naturally low carbohydrate density of strawberries, this delectable dessert is diabetic-friendly! The test kitchens said it all about this recipe: “Loved it. Can’t wait to make it again.” “Easy peasy… Perfect as-is.” “ My young daughter loved it and I love the healthy ingredients… it was great.”
Author: Theresa Nicassio, PhD
Recipe Type: Dessert
Special Diets: vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, diabetic-friendly/low GI, heart-healthy, low-sodium
Serves: 5 cups
- 4–5 cups strawberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ peeled lemon, seeds removed
- ½–1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp powdered Chicory Root Inulin With Stevia, New Roots Herbal Stevia Sugar, or other favourite sweetener
- ¼ tsp organic blackstrap molasses
- pinch Himalayan salt
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup agar agar flakes
- In a high-speed or regular blender, purée the strawberries with the lemon juice and zest, vanilla, sweetener, molasses and salt until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the water with the agar agar flakes to a boil, then soft-boil for 4–5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the agar agar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and add the strawberry purée to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Pour into silicon gelatin moulds or beautiful glassware and chill in the refrigerator until set.
- If using moulds, remove from the refrigerator just before serving and invert onto dessert plates.
- Enjoy as is or garnish with seasonal berries, mint leaves or your other favourite toppings