This delicious recipe is one that I created a few years ago on my first attempt, after learning about how wonderful fennel can be for gut health. While we were crazy about it, unfortunately this is one recipe I’ll never be able to enjoy again. I discovered with my first delicious bowl that I am quite allergic to fennel! A great example of bio-individuality in action—we are all so different. So, even though it is not a soup we make at home, I decided to share it here so that you can have the pleasure of enjoying this extremely low-fat, delectable soup.
Tomato & Fennel Soup
Author: Theresa Nicassio, PhD
Recipe Type: Soup
Serves: About 7 cups
- favourite cooking oil for sautéing
- 1 bulb fennel, coarsely chopped
- 2–3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 onions, or 1 onion and 1 shallot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp Himalayan salt, or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 x 13.5 fl oz (400 ml) cans whole or diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp rice wine vinegar, or to taste
- ¼-½ tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- ¼-½ tsp jalapeño flakes, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a large heavy saucepan, sauté the chopped fennel, celery, onions, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper in oil, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add the carrots and sauté about 5 minutes more, adding water as needed.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, vinegar and crushed hot pepper and jalapeño flakes (if using), then bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the onions and fennel are tender.
- Serve hot, garnished with lots of fresh cilantro.
Excerpt from YUM: plant-based recipes for a gluten-free diet (Sept. 2015) by Theresa Nicassio, PhD. Order your copy today at www.yumfoodforliving.com.
This is the right blog for anyone who wants to find out about this topic. You rlaziee so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually would want…HaHa). You definitely put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post .